Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sugoi!

Well, hit the ground running here in Tokyo. So much to talk about, I'll have to update more when I can finally remember it all.

Wednesday was a decent flight over. Sat next to some cute Tokyo girls on the plane, who eventually got up enough courage to talk to me (to say nothing of my own...). With enough pointing, looking at my Japan guide (hereforth known as The Guide), and consultations with their translator computer, they gave me some interesting suggestions to see things in Tokyo, as well as emergency contact information. Fun.

Arrived on Thursday (yay international date line) in Tokyo, in the airport, I then realized I should've booked a hostel some days ahead of time. Got too used to showing up at hostels and them having space in Hawai'i. I'm actually beginning to think that the hostels here may in fact be just paranoid about not having space, and so dissuade you by only doing advanced booking by internet. Nontheless, I have not proven either fact.

But, I found some internet in the airport and checked the International Hostel website and fonud a hostel not in my guide. I think it's mostly because it's a little hard to find (I must have gotten lost three times just looking for it--though mostly due to the fact the local street addresses are about as confusing as possible). Anyway, internet said it still had vacancies, figured out it's phone number, took still more time to figure out how to use the pay phones and my phone card (my cell phone not apparently working--which I have now found out is worthless in Japan due to the 3G system or something... very dissapointed...) and called them and made out through some decent japanese and english from their end that I had a reservation.

Then it was on to the train.

All of this is, of course, terribly interesting to me, and utterly mundane to anyone who lives here. But, figured out how to get on a train line into the city (I think it was about \1200--which is roughly $12.00 US); Narita to Asakusabashi, via the JR Chuo line to be exact. Once in Asakusabashi, then it was on to the various getting lost attempts to find the hostel. Went out the bad exit from the train and didn't catch the good map with pointer stickers... ah well.

Once found, and mind you, this was carrying my 50lb. pack the whole way, I was tired. But, also hungry (plane food was actually fairly reasonable, though I skipped the chiken part--soba noodle snack good though--it was, after all, an 8 hour flight). Went out to find some food, and mostly just made it to the convenience stores. Not great food, but I think I had some inarizushi. It's not bad at three for \200. Better than Hawaii at least. Anyway. Had food, went to bed. Tatami mat room, rather thin fouton like mattress, sheets etc. Apparently there is in fact a western style room, but I have yet to see it.

Woke up around 5 am to get started on Thursday. Yay Jet Lag.

Decided to walk around the area. Made it into Akihabara eventually, though got lost, similarly, like last time. Should've remembered to pick up a map at the Tourist station at the Airport like the Guide said, but, oh well (I have one now...). Akihabara has, like mentioned, a *lot* of anime, game, hobby, book, and computer/cell phone stores. Rather impressive selection, though couldn't track down the place that was suppsed to have western/US computers for sale. Perhaps when i actually need one. Some nice, thin mini laptops for around \30,000 that might work for my future needs. Though, I still can't read the specs in japanese... so, perhaps to get some help would be in order.

Anyway, from there, it was to Ueno park. They had stuff there... um... yeah. Can't remember right now. Skipped the zoo, but had a brief lunch (low quality park cheese pizza) with a guy from France studying music (in france) visiting to pick up some traditional japanese music scrolls. Strolled around, checked out the shrines, took some pictures (which I'll put up as soon as I can get a decent internet connection). Listened to some japanese radio, some of which in english. Saw the sign to the museum nearby that had a Louve exhibit, and decided that was a good idea. Very cool. No english, and had to make out most of the titles from the limited supplied french--managed well enough. Most notable was the fact that the sculpture (mostly, though some pottery as well) depicted pre-christian gods and goddesses in the same way that christian imagery does on the whole. Nike, the goddess, looks like any christian angel I've ever seen... which I thought was rather interesting. Makes sense to me now, but I didn't know. Anyway, good exhibit.

Went over to Asakusa, checked out the big shrine deal, Senso-ji, with accompanying nori outlets and other traditional style sundries. Nice place, nice nearby garden. Tired. Got hungry and wandered around.

Eventually got stopped by a rather drunken, middle aged couple from Yokohama. I think they had roped in a older fellow from France (who was selling ships from France). Biru was on them though, and we managed to communicate through broken english and japanese. I still couldn't understand half of what they were trying to say, and it may have been the guy's birthday (though, potentially a ruse to get people to come by). Generally friendly folk, and can't complain about free beer, fried tofu, and a small glass of shochu (though I think it was just different sake--not very hard). Though, did get a little wierd when the gal of the couple kept trying to kiss me and kept repeating some phrase I cannot remembber. Eventually she let up, and all was good. Went home. Had to catch the 23:00 curfew at the hostel anyway. Took the train home

Slept in from the long day of walking. Back is still generally killing me, so I need to find a better posture, less weight in the backpack, or walk less. Ah well.

Saturday was out and about, eventually, to Yoyogi park. I was actually interested in finding some music festival they had going on (free) during the day. Got to the Meiji shrine instead. Not technically all the way open, but the grounds were fairly interesting. Went to the garden as well; more pictures. Eventually ended up walking around Harajuku and checking out the various sights. My other mission, along with my sore back, was to check out a movie if at all possible. Found some on the internet in the morning and eventually wandered my way into the kabuki-cho (theater district) of Shinjuku from Harajuku (can't remember if I took the train... I think), and watched Pixar's Cars with a box of Pocky. English with Japanese subtitles. Now, if I can find the Japanese movies with the English subtitles, I'll be all set. Miyazaki has a new one out soon (Legend of Earthsea I think?) as well as a decent movie called Brave Story (I think?). So, we'll see. Cars was good. Back was much happier.

Strolled around the Saturday Night Shinjuku place. Skipped the blowjob by nice japanese girl. Wandered in the throngs, and I do mean *Throngs* of people. Not too bad actually. Eventually got tired, thought I'd check out Shibuya as well though. More of the same really, just different. Without knowing what a lot of places are, what's up stairwells, and the signs being in "greek to me" (though, admittedly, greek would be something I could attempt to sound out), things are a bit inaccessable. I should work on learning that japanese. Ah well. Anyway, back to the hostel by 11pm.

This (sunday) morning went better at getting up. Had trouble deciding what to do, so I looked up the Aikido Hombu dojo. Tried, in vain, to get there to watch the sunday practice with Doshu. Couldn't find it for the life of me; got really close, and quite nearly passed it (not quite as big as I thought it was). Ended up getting a snack at a (finally found one) supermarket (or, rather, market, the one I found was rather small actually, though still had an escalator). Ate a bannana and small cup of green tea ice cream when a middle aged guy on a bike stopped and asked me where I was from. We got to talking, he having visited San Francisco, and I from Oregon (and the whole bike ride last summer mention). I asked him if he knew where the Hombu dojo was, and thus began my afternoon.

He said it was near his apartment, but by the blocks in Tokyo, that really could mean anywhere in Shinjuku as far as I'm concerned. Nonetheless, he took me to the dojo, got me a cream-tea, and functioned as interpreter for me. Found the flyer for practice times (though the internet served well enough), and made friends for me with the staff a bit. I didn't want to impose on his day, but eventually (and by my ken) he made an afternoon of showing the nice gaijin around his city. Most friendly guy. Showed me around a bit more of Shinjuku, had a quick tea at a coffe shop and chatted in some reasonably good english. Must learn more japanese... Took me to the big department store, music level, overlook of the city of shinjuku, the gigantic bookstore with the books in english level (sixth floor--roku-ken I think), and a host of other sundry places. Found a card for my grandmonther's birthday. Saw the food-court/sweet rack/market floor and shared a sweet bun object filled with a fruit I can't remember.

Eventually saw me off at the JR line, which, though I've figured out fairly well, he still insisted on finding me the right way back to my hostel (not that it was open yet anyway--only open after 17:00). Nontheless, he got me on the train, and bid fine farewell, with hopes of biru after some aikido should I get back to Shinjuku.

Hung out, checked out the (now obtained) Metropolis (english guide to Tokyo) and waited for the hostel to open. Paid for another night, and got some interenet.

It's time for a nap.

Sorry it's so long. One of these nights I'll just get a reading room and internet all night and update more details. But, it'll do for now.

Ja ne!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

I am disapointed that Nike was not wearing sneakers. I am also jealous that you are in Japan!

I will have to watch "Lost in Translation" in your honor.

(Devoted girlfriend that I am) I went to another Con over the weekend. We watched a Takashi Miike movie called Imprint. The BF is a big Asian horror fan.

Anonymous said...

Kudos for getting on so well! That you did find a hostel without booking in advance was great, and you actually found it physically, too.
Now you know why I wanted to buy a cell phone in Thailand and skip trying to find one that worked in the US at the same time. Ain't technology grand?

Next time - you might want to request a vegetarian or vegan meal when you book your flight. They do have them, you know. Also, sign up for the frequent flyer program and put it in your profile. That increases your chances of getting your veggie meals. Airlines usually want at least 48 hrs notice of special meals.

Everyone from Sujita's and from Josanna's 4th of July party say Hi!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a lot of crazy fun ;) but what of harajuku? did you go into any shops?

-jess