Monday, July 24, 2006

Koya-san

Got a late start on Monday (this would be the 24th now) but was determined to get to Koya-san on my pass, since it was close, and I wanted to go. Koya-san is a small temple community, or at least, was converted to one some time ago by Kobo Dashi. A big name in the analects of Japanese Religious History, I believe he originated the kana sylabary (in some respect) back in his day (though, don't quote me on that), and founded a sect of buddhism that centered around the teaching that enlightenment was possible within one's own lifetime. What I've read, at least in the guide books and such, has been cool. Right up my alley. So, yeah, why not go.

Course, it would've been good to know the trip took three hours.

Ah well, it was very pretty at least. Long, local trains from Osaka to Wakayama, and a number of other small cities to transfer and get onto a local train into the mountains, then finally up a cable-car to the top of this mountain plateau. Fun ride, though my JR pass only covered parts of it and ended up dropping another ¥1800 or so. In Koya-san, there's this gigantic cemetery with over 300,000 tomb stones leading up to the lantern houses before getting to Dashi's tomb at the far end of town. I believe the remains (ashes?) of Basho and some other poets are there, many monks, everyone who's anyone apparently. The temple was nifty as well, many lanterns, and very helpful monks who knew some english. Kobo Dashi is also apparently a patron of travelers (he was big on hiking around Shikoku apparently--hence the 88 temple pilgrimage thingy I may try and get to part of later). So, I paid my respects and got a Kobo Dashi protective amulet. It's very nice and blue... ;-)

On the way out, there was also a section of tomb markers devoted to, apparently, fallen members of companies. There was a Nissan marker, and a number of other corporate looking markers. I unfortunately couldn't find the one from the extermination company apologizing for killing hoards of ants. I did find the one with a rocket though, presumably a space program of some kind.

After trying to find some food in Koya-san, which was either too expensive, or not really vegetarian, I headed back for Osaka. I was intending to try out the hostel instead, but due to the time of getting back from Koya-san, only really had time to get back to the Capsule hotel for another night. Not that it was that bad. Hard to complain with a well attendended, free tooth-brushes, and a number of entertaining channels on the tube.

No comments: