Thursday, July 20, 2006

Kyoto - Pictures 5

Okay, finally got the pictures in. However, running out of internet time, so the commentary will have to wait. Make up your own if you like. I'll get to them soon as well... sure... I... will...

Off to go check out Osaka's Tenzin Matsuri... (sp)... festival hopping... yay!

Next issue... capsule hotel... ;-)

***now with comments***


Ah! Sanders-san... in festival garb...

So, when I arrived in Kyoto that monday it was the last day of Gion Matsuri, the big Gion festival. So, many of these photos will be from that.


Hence, there was a procession of celebrants in traditional-ish garb going through the shopping arcade.


Sometimes... you just don't want to know... Japanese Richard Simmons?


More of the people going through the shopping arcade for the festival.


Miniature samurai altar thing.


An actual Gion float that is either stuck or abandoned. There were a few others around as well. Don't know why. Big.


One of the special floats. They shook these around with much vigor. Noisy. Shiny. :-)


The lanterns at the actual Gion temple lit.


I believe this is Tenryu-ji, or near it, in the rain. A small pre-garden before the temple. Very nice.


Me in the Garden at Tenryu-ji.


Nice close up of leaves in the rain.


Cute mushroom right off the trail.


Nice tree moss near the garden path. Ya know, I don't think I took many pictures of the actual temple. Ah well.


Dragon screen inside the temple.


Yay seiza.


Interesting red painting. The flash flare added nicely I thought.


I think this is at the Daikaku-ji temple. Lost track a bit. Gold tree screen.




Hares on the bottom of screens.


More of the garden around Daikaku-ji.


The crew that I went with to see the previous two temples.


I believe a stature of Kannon, godess protectorate. Cemetary near... someplace. Nanzen-ji I think?


Dragonfly near there as well. Bit of a hike up the side of the mountain, but nice.


Kyoto from that up-the-mountain-place.


Painting of many Buddhas.


Zen sand mound. I believe this was Eikan-do or Nanzen-ji again. Saw them both about the same time.


Dining room in one of the places. Eikan-do pretty sure.


More Eikan-do.


Aqueduct flowing behind Nanzen-ji. Notice the stick.


Behind Nanzen-ji there was this really cool forest walk up the side of the bluff.


Guardian stature near the forest temple.


Did I mention the part where it had been raining a lot. Well, there was a little waterfall here before that apparently. Now, it's taken up most of the stairs. Nonetheless, I went through that...


...to get here for this shot. Cthulhu likes to meditate under the waterfall as well.


Wandered around a bit after that and found a nice little temple/shrine to pets. This one's a monkey of some kind.


Cat shrine. Very cool.


Shrine to hampsters. That's a big nut.


More cat statues.


Really awesome engrish. This was not an amazing car by the way; small commuter at best.


Guitar rock game. It was harder than Guitar Rock Hero for the PS2, and way too short.


Obligatory DDR with some ladies from the Uno House.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of the dragonfly! All of them are soo beautiful! What is with the KFC guy in the kimono though? Don't they have his body over there? That's what I have heard...that they paid to have Sander's body...wierd no?

Anonymous said...

HA! DDR! Love that mouse/rat sculpture. Nice to see Cthuhlu again too. Beautiful retro spective!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to London! I just confirmed my flight from September 6th to September 13th and decided which hostel I'm staying at:

Hostel: Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel
Address: 12 Sherwood Street Piccadilly ,London UK W1F 7BR, England
Telephone: +44 (0) 207 434 9009
Email: bookings@piccadillybackpackers.com

They've got these neat bunks called 'pods' where for $5 extra bucks it's supposed to feel like a private space. I'm really bummed though. While I'm going to see one of my favorite soccer teams (Arsenal) I found out that *both* of my favorites Arsenal & Manchester United are playing the weekend *after* I leave! And so's one of my favorite comedians! Bah, I hate travel. :p

Amy says hello! I told her that since she loves bento so much that one day I will take her to Japan--then she told me that I should have just visit you instead of going to London! Haha--I hate travel... ;)

Anonymous said...

Loves the cat shrines ;-)