Sunday, June 25, 2006

Small Town Coffe Co. Post

Well, it's been awhile since I updated, so I guess I should.

Things have been pretty much normal here in Kapa'a still. I got the job doing the dishwashing at the Blossoming Lotus like I mentioned, and that has been the hardest part of it all. The shift starts at 6 PM (5:30 apparently officially) and usually gets out around 11:30 or so, whence I go back to the hostel (assuming I haven't forgoten my keys--which I did the first night but got lucky when someone went in at the same time I got back) and usually crash out due to exhaustian. Make about $20 or so in tips a night, though Friday night, being a bit busy and fewer staff to slack off, I made $35. Still haven't seen how much actual cash they'll give me for the hours worked; they said $9/hr. but I don't know how many hours they'll actually clock me for. And the first night of training, of which I stayed the whole time, was also not paid I belive. Bah! But, it is some extra cash for Japan.

And I'm learning a great deal from the process. I had little idea of how the service industry actually works to do all the things. Dishwashing is also the crappiest job of that industry; the most actual labor is expected from you (at least compared to the chefs and waitresses) and you get dumped on the most, and usually end up having the most to do at the end of the night, people waiting for you to finish because they can't go home till it's done, which makes them expect you to hurry even more. Crappy indeed. I'm not actually complaining though, but I can now empathize with the rest of you folks.

I think I would like to stick to using my brain for a living.

Otherwise, I've been also working around the hostel, this week was weeding and painting, like afore mentioned. Finished some ladders for the bunks in some of the dorms. Managed to get some paint that doesn't want to come off on my travel shorts and my Doughty shirt though, so I'll have to find something to take it off with later. The manager, Mike has mentioned that it may be possible to help him with some computer stuff as well, so that may be a better way to pay for my stay. As it is, looks like I'll be able to do about half my stay with work around the hostel if all goes well.

Beyond that, and the awesome meals from work, I don't have much more time to do much. I've been reading a bit--still working on finishing Stranger in a Stange Lane. Good book. Next on the list is my PB copy of Autobiography of a Yogi; should also be interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(I missed this post somehow.)

Oh man, dishwashing is so awful. I am proud of you for giving it a whirl!