Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Hostel

05Jun06

No, I haven't seen the movie. At least one person recommended that I do that before I leave, said it was a great pice of adventure and horror, or, something. And someone else, Ann I think, said something about it being a generally horrible horror exerience. Nonetheless, it has been an interesting experience.

Getting into Honolulu was fairly normal. I'm still a bit frustrated with how much crap I have to fit in the pack still. I think I'll be able to shed some random extra stuff from somewhere, but still not sure where yet. I got a very long... ahem, hawaiian time shuttle bus from the airpoirt to the hostel I had phoned at the airport (and found a discount off a four day stay). Checked in, decided to go for four days at least, and found some intresting folks in my room. Half of them were still sleeping (at 3pm) from going to bed at 7 am. Fascinating. There were two girls from the UK who were friends. And a guy from scotland. Nice folks.

I spent most of the late afternoon figuring out what the hell I was doing there and feeling very tired about it. The amount of sleep I had been getting recently was really quite horrible, and that needed to change; the jetlag wasn't so great either. I eventually went out to get a snack, famished from only having a crossainwich at about 6 am at the airport, and a cliff bar on the plane. So, like, 8 hours later, I'm a bit pekkish. (The ladies' accents are splendid). I got some mediocre but decent fafalel at the interntional market, which is most certainly noted as not having any tofu.

Then I freshened up a bit in the shower and continued some interesting escapades in the night life. Mostly I just walked around a lot. A lot. And people watched, and got some idea of the shopping. Then I got back and took a bit of a nap, and found it strange that my bed was made. Housekeeping probably, though why in a hostel?

Went out again at night. Saw the night life. Walked some more.

When I came back, I found out that my bed had in fact been claimed. Three Irish girls had come in together while I was out. So, the "making the bed" is the way to call your spot in the dorm room. I had put a pillowcase on a pillow to this effect, but aparently, that didn't matter much. Nonetheless, once I made sure we were all supposed to fit in the dorm, I switched beds to the other room. It was air conditioned and with the other folk I met, and worked out better in the long run.

Morning was sleepy but I eventually turned into some strolling around the park next to the beach and hostel and got in a short yoga session. Watched a japanese lady film her four year old play with the faucet a whole lot.

Got into some trunks and took a quick swim in the ocean. Forgot my towel and got very sandy very quickly. Took a little sun bath before going back and getting a shower. The sand sticks remarkably well.

Got in a fairly nice nap after that. Decided to get out and check out a health food store, which was almost all supplements and not that great, small deli. Got a better sandwich at a place called Ruffage, tempeh with sprouts, and a spirulina smoothie. Best meal so far. And more walking.


And then I'm here. Writing this journal and talking with folks in the lounge of the hostel. They recommend Molokai. Need to find more islands to go to. Kuaii seems to have a hippy population concentration. They might be nice to stay at for the solstice. Probably be able to score some place to hang with folk.

5 comments:

Sgt. B. said...

The sky is one big piece of gray in Corvallis today. I deeply, deeply hate you right now. How much do hostels run in Hawaii? Is there an age limit?

Anonymous said...

Sleep? Who needs that?

I had trouble with veggieness on Oahu as well. Seems a foreign concept. I'd have starved if I I didn't go for the eggs at times.

Go into town near the Foster Botanical Gardens to find some Chinese - you may have good luck there. There is a good Egyptian restaurant around there (Pyramids?) - great falafel, too.

Bishop Museum is great, too.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, Hawaii is Spam country! Straight from Austin, MN to your favorite island. Have you seen Spam sushi yet?

Jason said...

Hey folks:

Laurent: Yeah, when I left Seattle, it wasn't so nice a view. Paradise here is rather nice. No age limit, $25/night, with discounts for longer stays. Come one come all!

Lurkitty: Yeah, I've been finding it hard to find good food, but with some grocery stores, I've managed a reasonably healthy salad to live off of. And, of course, more recommendations are great.

Missy: Hey babe. Not much spam as you'd think actually, but I'm still on Oahu, and haven't really tried the local fare much.

Anonymous said...

Jason, found a good website to look up hashing locations. Again you don't have to run. Great way to see areas and possible find a free stay.

Cathy

www.gotothehash.net