Friday, June 09, 2006

North Shore

08Jun06

So, lets see, where was I.

Monday night was rather mundane.

Tuesday I spent getting familiar with the O'ahu bus system. Rather decent on the whole, if a bit expensive. I probably should've gotten a short term bus pass and saved some money in some long run. Nonetheless, figured it out. Took the bus to the east side of the island to the Valley of the Temples, essentiallya very large cemetery, but with multi-denominations. They have the Byodo-in Temple, a remake of a Japanese Buddhist temple from some part of Japan. Nice temple. Nice Buddha. If it was the kind of place you could hang out for a bit, it would be nicer I think. I did a short meditation near some of their bamboo piles, but that was about it. Had a supermarket lunch afterwards of egg-salad sandwich, but did manage to try some taro-root mochi. Interesting, and about the same as azuki beans.

Took the bus back and decided to try and check out the aikido dojo in town. I had tried calling them earlier in the week to see about their training schedule, and more importantly, if they had any gi tops for me to buy. Unfortunately, I never got through to them and mostly just showed up to see if they could accomodate. They however didn't and couldn't. They wouldn't let me practice with a t-shirt, understandably, so I just ended up watching them for their hour practice session. On the whole, I liked their style; it was pretty decent looking aikikai. They had three other udansha plus the instructor, and about as many kyu ranking members.

Back at the hostel watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with one of the guys' laptops. Very, very weird movie.

The next day I went to do errands. Wanted to get that gi-top, and, realizing that I can get a free RT island hop by spending another $400 on my credit card, I needed to find a way to get some money spent. I had planned to do this by buying my Japan Rail Pass, a bit early as I won't need it for about three weeks at least (wherein it would be decent to try and wait for the dollar to go up against the yen in the interim--which the office I called suggested). However, to use my card incurred an additional $25 or so of charges, so the flight won't be quite so much of a bargain. That done, I trekked (not wanting to bother with the expense of a $2 bus ride both ways) to find the gi I needed. The japanese shop I found had a decent selection of gis actually, but had to by as a set. The stronger 8oz fabric would've been better, but I opted for the even lighter karate gi. Still need to figure out what to do with the pants, as I brought my own and they are much better.

Back to the hostel, I was tired from walking, and didn't much feel like actually going to aikido. Then I remembered that I had checked craigs list a few weeks back and found a local gaming group. So, I phoned in a pizza order, and walked to the coffee shop way the heck up the road to find some gaming action. I was relieved to find that they were actually there.

They were finishing a game of Rocketeer or something; I hadn't seen it, looked new. After that a game of six person Citadels that was pretty decent. They had to leave around 10 pm, so that was it and home. Where I slept well.

In the morning, packed and did a quick yoga session in the park again. Found another group after my session was done that usually does yoga as well, but this very with-it guy was talking about accupressure points and showing the other three ladies there about it. I stayed about half an hour before going back to finish packing and getting on the shuttle to North Shore.

The shuttle was decent ride, got a nap and a mocha slushie. After checing into the Backpackers hostel, I prepared myself and took a hike up to Pupukae, which was relatively close by.

However, it was a three mile hike (uphill there) to get to the trail head, which was actually pretty decent trek by itself. A quick detour to a local spiritual grounds; previously used spot for war sacrifices and holy work in general. Then the triail itself, about a five mile loop, was a lot of up and down rooty paths. Very nice views. Very good hike. But after a few miles I was completely drenched in sweat, and about halfway through the hike I ran out of water. So that made it harder to keep up. Grueling at best. But, I eventually made it and got some more water at the trail head at the ranger's house.

My feet are still killing me and my butt has been thoroughlly chaffed. Hopefully that'll heal soon. Have a few small blisters, mostly my pinky toe. Horrible, I know.

Saw some jujitsu folks practicing on the way back, but didn't have the energy to try it.

Not sure if I'll stay here tomorrow or go back to Waikiki. World cup friday night in any case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Byodo-in temple has starred in many TV shows like Tales of the Gold Monkey and Hawaii 5-0. Nice place, though.

Zinc oxide baby ointment for chafing. It works and is readily available in grocery stores (one traveller to another).

Anonymous said...

I took the time to look up flights to Hawai'i and it looks like I can get there this week until whenever you take off for about $500 to Honolulu.

(Update: I can make it to Kauai for $650.)

Just give me the heads up on how long you'd be cool with me hanging around for and which island I should meet you on?